Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Best Christmas Gift Not In A Box

As a child, I remember celebrating Christmas and receiving brightly-wrapped presents from a friend or relative. Immediately my thoughts began to wonder what was inside the box! I barely gave thanks as I began to tear open the wrapper, first from one side and then the other, until the contents were finally revealed and my happiness was tested. Had my loved one met my expectations, or not?

Back then my Christmas list consisted of stuff I longed to receive: stuff to hold and behold; stuff to play and have fun with; stuff to listen to and learn from; stuff to show off to my friends with; stuff to make my life easier and stuff to simply make me feel special.

How devastating I would feel to find an item I was not expecting - or worse yet, did not want. This situation could only be made worse by my well-intending parents insisting I give a hug and thanks to the giver. I could actually feel my heart ache, since my gratitude was not real. A different story though, if it was exactly what I had been hoping for, then a quick leap into the arms of my giver was easy to muster - since that gesture of appreciation was genuine. This hug, although heart-felt, was often cut short since its purpose was to give thanks for the gift; as such, my attention would promptly be redirected back to the gift instead of the giver.

As the years have passed, I've received many presents - and for the most part - don't remember many of them; but I do remember the special times spent with family and loved ones. What irony that the substance within the box has long been forgotten, yet the substance outside the box has left a lasting and memorable impression.

I have come to realize how special Christmastime truly is; not for the presents or stuff, but for the priceless gift we receive outside the box - special time spent with loved ones. Family and friends are a gift from God, and time spent together is something that cannot be found in a box. Instead of seeking stuff, we ought to seek: loved ones to hold and behold; friends to play and have fun with; family to listen to and learn from; time to shower our friends with; laughter to make our life easier and love to simply make us feel special.

Nothing found inside a box could ever compare to the priceless gift we receive outside the box. I pray this Christmas your greatest gift is found, not in a box!

Author of Insight In Sight: Was I Born Like This? A straight gone gay gone straight lady, who shares the journey and how she did it. http://www.sylviehache.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Sylvie_Hache

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7417229

God bless...

Ms Jini (jcchristianles)
"For With God Nothing Is Impossible" Luke 1:37

The Message (MSG) John 3:16-18
16-18"This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. Anyone who trusts in him is acquitted; anyone who refuses to trust him has long since been under the death sentence without knowing it. And why? Because of that person's failure to believe in the one-of-a-kind Son of God when introduced to him.

GLBT Christian Stories: sweetladyj on storymash.com

Follow me on twitter for daily inspiration: jcchristianles

Connect with me on yahoo messenger: pamlover2011

"Together with Jesus is better than separate and alone" - Sarah Bowling

“True prosperity is having EVERY thing that you need in EVERY area of your life to accomplish God’s purpose for your life” – Ms Jini (jcchristianles)

"THE BLESSING of the Lord makes one rich and He adds no sorrow with it" Prov 10:22

Join me in building a Prosperity mentality (100 Lessons on Prosperity) for the next few weeks!

Join me in discovering 58 Blessings found in the Holy Bible as discussed in Mike Murdock’s book “The Covenant of 58 Blessings”.

Join me in Fasting From Wrong Thinking this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment